A Clearing Guide To The Mosquito Mess
Come September and mosquito season begins formally in India.
The silent retreat of dark clouds and monsoon rains in September marks the onset of a season dominated with the presence of mosquitoes or more aptly called as tiny demons by my daughter. These small, nasty creatures are just not annoying and odious but play a significant part in creating lot of sufferings and diseases like dengue, malaria, Lymphatic filariasis, chikungunya etc.
The remedies to protect ourselves and our families can be many however the traditionally chemical laden coils, machines and sprays are leaving a long lasting impact on us and our kids. While we all understand the importance of keeping our kids safe from these tiny demons, it can be achieved well by using natural and chemical free infusions and remedies.
I am compiling an exhaustive list of natural remedies for keeping your homes free from these predators and your kids safe and healthy.
List of natural remedies
- Citronella Essential Oil: Use it in a diffuser. This pleasant smelling oil is a great and effective replacement to the chemical laden mosquito repellents available in the market. You can also inject a few drops of this essential oil in a candle and light it up.
- Lavender Oil: Use it in a diffuser or burn the lavender scented candles. The strong smell of lavender repels mosquitoes. Growing lavender plant is also a good option. Mix it in neem oil and apply on body for a mosquito free evening.
- Lemon Eucalyptus Oil: Oil of lemon eucalyptus leaves can be applied on the skin and can naturally help in keeping the mosquitoes away
- Tea Tree Oil: This is well known for its anti bacterial and fungal properties. Diluting the tea tree oil in water or any other carrier oil and applying on the skin helps keep the mosquitoes at bay. This can also be applied after the insect bite to minimise the discomfort.
- Indian Lilac Oil and Coconut Oil: Mixed in 1:1 ratio and applied on skin will send the mosquitoes away.
- Rosemary : Burning rosemary leaves and stalks can also prove to be a great solution for mosquitoes.
- Garlic: Garlic is another natural mosquito repellent. Growing garlic plants, crushed garlic pods boiled in water and sprayed around or even eating garlic food can all prove helpful.
- Mosquito Repellent Plants: Holy Basil, Catnip and feverfew plants keep mosquitoes in check at your house. Plant them near windows and you can stop these tiny creatures to enter into your house.
- Soapy Water: Keeping a dish with soapy water at a distance from where you are sitting will attract mosquitoes around it and they will drown in the soap bubbles and die.
- Mosquito repellent Lights: Mosquitoes get attracted to the light so it is a good idea to opt for sodium lamps, yellow bug lights or LED lights in your house.
- Light coloured clothing: Wearing darker colours like black blue and red makes you more attractive to mosquitoes and their attack. Choose lighter colours.
- Eat No Bananas: Mosquitoes love the smell of bananas. So avoid eating this fruit since mosquitoes can smell them through your skin too.
Do use these natural remedies and let me know in comments., what worked for you this season. If you are looking to buy good quality essential oils, do drop in a message, I can help direct you to few good quality vendors. In the meantime, keep these demons out of your homes…