What is the instinctive style of parenting?
This is probably the only parenting style that has no pre-defined rules. Here, parents raise, not by following laid down rules; rather use their sixth sense or instincts. Instinctive parents could either take cues from their own childhood incidents and upbringing style to rear their kids or react and show behavior depending upon signs and indications received from their child. It is also called attachment parenting. The fundamental aspect of this style of parenting is the parent-child relationship. The term came into being based on the natural and instinctive relationship that develops between an infant and his mother just after birth. New mothers have higher levels of oxytocin and prolactin, two naturally producing hormones that tend to calm the newborn better and this initiates instinctive parenting behaviors.
Characteristics of this particular style
- The parents do not believe in taking unsolicited advice from others around on how to raise their kids.
- They are happy and feel that they are doing a good job if their child is happy while they are unsettled if the child is stressed out.
- These parents believe that they know what is best for their child and hence they condition their behavior accordingly. They listen to their gut feeling and intuitions and do what seems to be the best solution in the given situation.
- When kids are babies and toddlers these parents spend a lot of their time in physical contact with the children.
- Such parents co-sleep with their kids too.
- These parents believe that when kids are given basic things like affection and warmth along with food and shelter, they grow up to be mature adults.
Impact of instinctive Parent on Child’s Self image
- Raised with lots of love and nurturing, these kids have higher self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Respect is the core value in this type of parenting. Hence kids of such parents grow up to respect not only their self and parents but also others around.
Impact of the instinctive parent on Child’s Social Skills
- Such kids are encouraged to be kind and charitable.
- Have well-developed social skills.
- They are proficient in interpersonal skills and are good at communication which leads to developing strong relationships.
Impact of instinctive parents on Child’s Academics
- Raised with a strong emotional bonding with their parents, these kids tend to perform better academically.
- These kids also get favorable support from their parents in other aspects of growth like creative, sports or intelligence-oriented. They are good at extra-curricular activities and may go to pursue one of their interest as a full-fledged career in adulthood.
Impact of instinctive Parent on Child’s Life
- Independent and self-reliant kids.
- They learn the art of trusting their sixth sense too and many of their decisions in later life could be based on their intuitions.
- Grow up to be mature adults and develop a healthy relationship with their spouses and partners. They, in turn, raise kids intuitively – giving them the required space and freedom to grow up to be capable individuals.
Even if some people consider this type of parenting as primitive, it is one of the most natural ways of nurturing and raising kids.