The only thing more exhausting than having a mental illness is pretending like you don’t
Mental health is the state of well-being of the psychological and emotional state of a person. Under good mental health, an individual is able to successfully perform all mental functions that results in constructive and productive outputs. Such a person has the ability to adapt himself to different situations and conditions, is able to handle stress and adverse situations and is able to make choices and take decisions positively.
This is how my dotty understood the meaning of mental health
In the movie Tangled by Walt Disney, it was shown that Rapunzel was kept in captivity by her wicked step-mom in an isolated remote tower house. Even if she yearned to see the outer world she never had the guts to come out of the tower. So to keep herself from the craziness of living alone, Rapunzel took to painting the walls of the tower house. She took good care of her mental health.
Positive mental health can be maintained only by doing something constructive as Rapunzel did.
In the movie Frozen, sibling love between Princess Elsa and Ana has been narrated beautifully. Other than few other issues, it also shows a scene where Elsa, the sister with magical powers sits in her room surrounded by despair and loneliness because she has tried to hide her magical powers from everyone but unsuccessfully. This is when her sister Ana sings, ‘Let It Go’. A song that has a beautiful message to let go.
To maintain good mental health, you need to come to terms with your demons, face them and let them go just like Elsa.
How can you encourage your kids to have great mental health?
- Practise the art of being positive. And for someone to whom this does not come naturally, try taming your mind with the tactic of 1:10. For every 1 negative thought emanating from your mind fill your brain intentionally with 10 positive thoughts.
- Indulge in physical activities like walking, playing your favorite sport, etc.
- Sleep well.
- Spend time with friends and create meaningful bonds.
- Keep helping others. Kindness makes you feel good.
- Practise coping skills like meditation and relaxation techniques.
- In the case of depression or other symptoms of mental sickness take professional help